The year 2020 has shown us every shade, every color of the life that we never imagine seeing ever in the years that we will be alive. We saw the wrath of nature that we never have ever supposed to be able to witness. Many tragedies and the most important of all, the outbreak of coronavirus that we all saw have shaken humankind's very being.
This all started at the end of December 2019 when the new strain of the coronavirus family responsible for causing common cold and other mild respiratory infections was found in a patient who died showing symptoms of a common cold. This case emerged as the news from the Wuhan district of China. The news did not spread as fast as the coronavirus or as named by WHO (World Health Organisation) as novel coronavirus did worldwide.
Fighting corona has become the utmost agenda of people as well as the government of a nation. The equipment that helps find corona includes personal protective equipment like N95 respirators, Surgical Masks, and Cloth Masks. Now the point is that N95 Respirators are also present in different types, and the normal N95 Respirator's breathability has always been a matter of concern. We will here try to come up with a conclusion of the breathability with the points below,
- How are regular N95 masks produced?
- What are the widespread Benefits of the N95 masks?
- How are masks divided in the case of the breathability of the mask?
- Reasons for regular masks causing difficulty in breathing
How are regular N95 masks produced?
While discussing the N95 masks, everyone needs to know how the masks are eventually brought to our hands. The process by which these masks are manufactured, and we provide us with the required safety is mentioned in the points below,
- The N95 respirators are processed in the factories by melt blowing, beginning with the formation of a complete N95 respirator to provide us with the required safety.
- The melt blowing process is defined as the processing of polymers in heat to finally bring out the small and microscopic fibers of the middle layer present in the N95 Respirators.
- The melt blowing requires polymers as the raw material, and the polymer used as a raw material for making the middle layer of N95 respirators is polypropylene.
- These microscopic fibers are made out of melt blowing and then put into a layer of nonwoven fabric laid on a platform. This nonwoven fabric made out of the microscopic fibers is then used to make the middle layer of the N95 Respirators.
- The middle layer made out of the nonwoven fabric is then together with the two outer layers covering the middle layer very efficiently.
- The Mask was initially carved out for industrial workers, but as the pandemic approached us, the N95 respirators have been the life for people in the world.
- These N95 respirators do not work at a place where the oil-based aerosols can contaminate you because they do not block the oil-based aerosols.
What are the widespread Benefits of the N95 masks?
N95 mask has proven to be very beneficial in the times of novel coronavirus, and few of its benefits are mentioned below,
- The N95 respirators are very efficient. They are efficient to 95% of the 0.3-micron particles in the environment that can contaminate us with the disease.
- The middle layer present in the N95 masks blocks the microscopic particles to enter the mask's inside environment. It works vice versa when it comes to particles from inside the mask going into the outside environment.
- The outside of the mask's outermost layer prevents any splashes and water droplets from coughing and sneezing droplets to get into your mouth or nose and getting contaminated with the disease. This feature is on the outer player of the mask because it is made of water repellent.
- The innermost layer in the mask is water absorbent. It can absorb any particles to get into the outside environment if you carry the information or are a positive case.
How are masks divided in the case of the breathability of the mask?
The N95 respirators are made in different orientations as mentioned below,
- Valved N95 Respirators: These are respirators that are made with a valve inserted in them. The world is supposed to provide better ventilation and breathability to the wearer. These respirators are helpful when you are in a hot and humid environment, and you do not want to feel all mushy upon your face.
- Normal N95 Respirators: the normal N95 respirators are not valved and do not contain any valve to facilitate any more breathability or ventilation. They are normal respirators used in hospital settings and people who need them to prevent themselves from a very infective virus-like corona
Reasons for regular masks causing difficulty in breathing
- The normal N95 mask contains three layers that are mostly made up of fabric extracted from polymers. These layers formed of polymer do not provide the level of ventilation that a cotton fabric made mask can provide you, so you can say that they have less breathability.
- There can be difficulty breathing inside the N95 mask for the people who have any heart-related issue or for people living at higher levels where the oxygen level is less. People living in a humid environment wearing the normal N95 mask can be uncomfortable.