The world was caught by surprise when the pandemic struck. We all know that there are families that are still trying to make ends meet that are struggling to do so because of the pandemic. If some families are already able to provide their basic needs and their basic necessities prior to the pandemic, what happens when you try to further require these families to provide their own personal protective equipment like N95 respirator or an N95 mask? There is a problem.
This is probably why a lot of studies and research have been looking at how to decontaminate the N95 respirator or an N95 mask in order for some families to maximize the use of every single mass that they have and that they would buy.
In this article, let's talk about the possibility of maximizing the some more, how many N95 masks would last you a month, and how to decontaminate the masks so you can have more uses for the N95 respirator or an N95 mask.
The Wonders Of Decontamination
There are a lot of ways for people to know that we can always count on their own skills to maximize the use of their products or of the things that we buy. The great thing about personal protective equipment like N95 respirator or an N95 mask is the fact that right now since the supply is really not that high, there are different kinds of decontamination methods that one can use to maximize the potential of their N95 respirator or an N95 mask.
The following are the known decontamination methods that individuals can use:
- Vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide Solution. This is the solution that individuals often look at and scientists have guaranteed to clean the N95 respirator or an N95 mask. This is the perfect method when it comes to making sure that individuals will have a clean mask even if it has already been used.
- Steam Boiling In A Rice Cooker. Steam boiling is a process that works. Scientists have already confirmed that the process of steam boiling your N95 respirator or an N95 mask will work to make sure that you have a clean set of masks for you and your family.
- Hanging For 72 Hours. Some individuals say that they can hang their masks for 72 hours and it will get clean already.
How Many N95 Masks Would Last For A Period Of 30 Days?
It is important for a lot of people to know that they will always have the fact that they can handle their supplies and have control over when it gets restocked or not. When it comes to personal protective equipment the most common question is how does one maximize the use of it. Another question is how many would last for a period of a month so that when you do run your errands you are sure that you will no longer go out.
The answer is: you would need at least 20 N95 respirator or an N95 mask per month up to around 60 N95 respirator or an N95 mask. If you know how to decontaminate the masks based on the information we have shared above, you can use only 20 N95 respirator or N95 masks in a month. However, if you want proper protection, a set of 60 N95 respirator or N95 masks would be the best number for you.
Save Up Your N95 Mask Supply
There are other ways that you can save and maximize the current supply that you have and they are the following:
Follow the 3M Method. According to the 3M website, the most important way to save up and clean your N95 mask is to make sure that you follow the right inspection processes:
- Check. 3M suggests that the first thing for you to do is to check the facepieces for cracks, tears and dirt. The website is clear that upon inspection, you should be certain that the N95 respirator or an N95 mask, especially the facial area, is not distorted.
- Examine. It is also important to examine inhalation valves for signs of distortion, cracking, or tearing or any damage that one should be very wary of.
- Check Elasticity. Make sure that head straps are intact and have good elasticity. This should be like new or at least not be distorted and should work properly.
- Examine The Parts. 3M also suggests that the wearer must “examine all plastic parts for signs of cracking or fatiguing. Make sure filter gaskets or seal areas are in good condition.”
After examination, you should know if the mask can still get reused or should be discarded already.
Maximize The Potential
At the end of the day, it is important that you were able to maximize the potential of your N95 respirator or an N95 mask. Since there are not a lot of people who can properly use the mask, it sometimes feels like you are just spending money on something that you have no control over. But, you do have control over the potential that you will spend on when it comes to the N95 respirator or an N95 mask. You also have control over the fact that you can use and reuse your N95 respirator or an N95 mask supply when needed. As long as you are sure that the N95 respirator or an N95 mask you are using is still green and blue still provide you with the same level of protection as if it is brand new, you are good to go.