You have heard of surgical masks, N95 masks, N95 respirators, and other personal protective equipment. You probably ask yourself: how do I distinguish between and among the surgical masks, N95 masks, N95 respirators, and other personal protective equipment? What do I need to know about the surgical masks, N95 masks, N95 respirators, and other personal protective equipment?
In this article, we provide you with a little bit of an answer on how you can distinguish between surgical masks, N95 masks, N95 respirators, and other personal protective equipment.
Surgical masks are loose fitting masks that are meant to be disposable. They cover the nose and the mouth but they do not aim to create a seal on the face of the individual wearer.
N95 masks are tight fitting masks that create a seal on the face of the individual wearer and that show off that they have the best seal in the wearer’s mask.
How Do I Distinguish Between A Surgical Mask and N95 Mask?
Making the distinction between a surgical mask and an N 95 mask is actually very easy. The only important factor that an individual merit should look at is the fact that a surgical mask actually does not create a seal on the face and they are loose fitting on the weather's face. On the other hand you will see that a surgical mask is actually tight fitting and actually fits the needs of the individual based on a very strict protocol. When you see a surgical mask they are also often very loose and they do not match the office because of the lack of this year. An N95 mask, on the other hand, creates a seal on the face so it is very easy to distinguish the two.
Which One Do You Actually Need?
The truth of the matter is your need between and among surgical masks, N95 masks, N95 respirators, and other personal protective equipment depends on a lot of factors. But it also depends on your individual circumstances. What works for one person may not necessarily work for the other person because our needs are very different.
Hence, it is important to distinguish whether you would need a surgical mask or an N 95 mask in different settings. Let us look at the different settings below:
- Office Setting: If you work in an office, then you probably already know about some of the safety protocols that have been set by your office in order to protect you and your office mates from the virus. Of course this is for those who are in a work setting where they are in an office with air conditioning and ventilation. For this kind of work setting, you should make sure that you have an N95 mask. Why is an N95 mask better for an office setting? The answer is simply because when you work in an office, the best way for you to deal with the virus is to make sure that your mouth and your nose are properly sealed. It is important and it is necessary to remember that in a work setting the ventilation is often not good. There are already a lot of studies that have shown that improperly ventilated areas such as those that use air-conditioning where the air that stays within the limits of the room, has a higher chance of infecting the individuals inside that room. In order to protect yourself from this possibility you should wear an N 95 mask and you should never take it off.
- Retail Setting:if you work at retail or you work at a bank or you work at a company where you are required to face individuals on a daily basis, individuals you do not know and that have business with your company, the best way for you to deal with this kind of setting is for you to wear an N95 mask. An N95 mask provides the best kind of a seal for your face in order to prevent any kind of respiratory particles that want to go in your body, specifically your lungs.
- Grocery and Pharmacy: If you are going to the grocery or the pharmacy to buy what you need, you need to wear an N 95 mask that you would discard after use. The grocery and the pharmacy is definitely two of the most highly probable areas where individuals can get infected with the coronavirus. This is because there are a lot of people who go there and that there are people who go to the pharmacy who may be sick. We feel the symptoms of the virus, it was decided that they will just stay at home and not get tested and just do what they usually do.
- Banking: if you are going to the bank, you also need to make sure that you wear an N 95 mask because as a lot of people and a lot of experts are saying holding money and dealing with people is one of the activities that come with the highest possibility of contracting the virus.
- Throwing The Trash: if you are just going out of your apartment, condo, or house to throw the trash, you can probably survive by just wearing a surgical mask at home.
Have Both Of The Masks
The most important point to remember is to have the two masks in your arsenal. If you are keeping a stockpile of surgical masks, N95 masks, N95 respirators, and other personal protective equipment at home, having both of the masks makes sure that you will survive whatever activity you are planning to do.