Your N95 mask and N95 respirators will only be as good as the fit. It is as great as the impact that it has to bring to the user. So, whatever happens, there are a lot of people who need to make sure that they will get N95 masks and N95 respirators that work but also N95 masks and N95 respirators that fit them properly.
In this article, we will discuss the proper respirator fit testing procedures that individuals should follow whenever they use N95 mask and N95 respirators. This is the kind of information that every person can use during this time.
What Is The Respirator Fit Testing Procedure?
According to most sources, there is a very specific step by step process that refers to the respirator fit testing procedure and they are the following:
First step is to have the test subject wear the N95 mask and perform the usual user seal check. The user seal check is a procedure that is conducted by the respirator wearer in order to determine if the respirator is being properly worn. The user seal check can be done either through a positive pressure or negative pressure check. This simply means checking the passage of air inside and out and how the N95 mask would react to it.
After the user seal check, the subject is expected to wear any applicable safety equipment that may be worn by the individual during his actual use of the respirator. Why is this important? In most of the health and safety environments, personal protective equipment does not only mean the N95 mask or the N95 respirator. It means that the individual would also wear other types of protection. To properly conduct a respirator fit, the individual wearer must make sure that the N95 mask is worn with the other equipment that the user expects to wear.
Have the subject put on and position the test hood, and breathe through his or her mouth with the tongue extended, this ensures that the individual will have breathing room for his tongue and his mouth to open while he is wearing the N95 mask.
Once the individual already has the N95 mask in place with his tongue sticking out, it is important to do the fit test aerosol. The fit test aerosol’s main goal is to test if the individual wearer of the N95 mask will have a bitter taste at any part of the movement.
The individual is then asked to do the following breathing movements:
- Normal breathing – In a normal standing position, without talking, the subject shall breathe normally. Just the normal way of breathing for this first part. If the wearer of the N95 mask tastes something bitter at any time, the test is terminated and the mask fit needs to get adjusted.
- Deep breathing – In a normal standing position, the subject shall breathe slowly and deeply, taking caution so as not to hyperventilate. This is slow breathing and the wearer of the N95 mask is expected to do this while wearing the mask. Again, if the wearer of the N95 mask tastes something bitter at any time, the test is terminated and the mask fit needs to get adjusted.
- Turning head side to side – The N95 mask wearer is then asked to breathe while standing in place, he shall slowly turn his/her head from side to side between the extreme positions on each side. The head shall be held at each extreme momentarily so the subject can inhale at each side .If the wearer of the N95 mask tastes something bitter at any time, the test is terminated and the mask fit needs to be adjusted.
- Moving head up and down – While standing, the N95 mask wearer is asked to slowly move his/her head up and down. The subject shall be instructed to inhale in the up position, when looking toward the ceiling, and breathe in and out. If the wearer of the N95 mask tastes something bitter at any time, the test is terminated and the mask fit needs to get adjusted.
- Talking – The subject shall talk out loud slowly and loud enough so as to be heard clearly by the test conductor. If the wearer of the N95 mask tastes something bitter at any time while he is talking, the test is terminated and the mask fit needs to get adjusted.
These are the very specific ways that the fit of the N95 mask and the N95 respirator is tested by the experts.
Buy What You Need
In this time of a pandemic where all of the resources are depleted and even the budget of individuals are not as good and stable, there is a need to buy only what you need. When you are dealing with problems make sure that you have the right N95 mask and N95 respirators, when you are protecting yourself from the problem make sure that you have the right N95 mask and N95 respirators, and when you are dealing with issues on certain things make sure that you have N95 mask and N95 respirators.
In every single step that you take during this pandemic, it is time to always take a step back and deal with it with the right N95 mask and N95 respirators. At the end of the day, nobody knows how important it is for people to stay alive and survive this pandemic so keep in mind that as you keep yourself healthy and safe, you are also keeping the community around you healthy and safe.