1860 is a type of N95 respirator that helps the doctors to stay safe during tough times.
The year 2020 has turned our lives upside down for the coronavirus pandemic spread in the world this year only. We have bid adieu to the year, but the virus continues to stay with us and is still claiming millions of lives. The news of vaccines is still doing rounds and when will the vaccine be available for masses is a question. Thus, we need to protect ourselves and even get moving ahead in life by using masks, sanitizers, social distancing, and more. The situation is uncomfortable and sad, but there is no option apart from wearing masks in public settings. For the common masses, cloth masks will serve the purpose, but for the medical fraternity, N95 masks must be used.
What are N95 masks?
Before the spread of coronavirus, people were not aware of different types of masks. The year has educated us tremendously about the use of masks and the different types of masks. Not only different types of masks but also different makes in a category of masks.
An N95 mask is an air-purifying, particulate respirator that is a personal protective device designed to help reduce the wearer’s inhalation exposure to certain airborne particles. N95 is one of the nine filter classification in the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). The respirators are given N, P, and R ratings by the NIOSH, for the efficiency of 95, 99, or 100. When tested against particles that are the most difficult to filter approximately 0.3 microns in size mass median aerodynamic diameter. Thus as per the ratings, the N95 masks have the least efficiency that of 95%, and the R category has 99.97% efficiency. However, there is immense resistance in breathing in the P and R category, and the wearer can't wear it for long hours; thus, the most comfortable and secured mask is from the N category.
The most commonly used respirator in the medical areas is the N95 filtering facepiece respirator. The respirator class has assigned a protection factor (APF) of 10, which implies that the exposure to the contaminated particles is by a factor of 10. The APF defines the workplace level of respiratory protection that a respirator or class of respirator is expected to provide to employees when the employer implements a continuing, effective respiratory protection program specified in the OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard, 29 CFR 1910.134.
What are 3M 1860 masks?
3M Particulate Respirators and Surgical masks 1860/the 1860s and 1870 are cleared for use as a surgical mask by the FDA. They provide greater than 99% bacterial filtration efficiency against wearer generated particles according to the Modified Greene and Veasey test method. They are fluid resistant to help reduce exposure to blood and body fluids. When worn properly and in combination with protective eyewear. The 3M 1860 respirators don't contain components made from natural rubber latex.
How to wear the 3M 1860 N95 masks?
There is a particular way to wear the 3M 1860 N95 mask, else the purpose of wearing the mask remains unsolved. Before buying the mask, the wearer is supposed to undergo a fitness test to assure that the mask fits well; else the mask will lose its efficiency in filtering. It will cause more harm to the wearer rather than helping the wearer to breathe purified air. Follow the below-mentioned steps to wear the 1860 N95 masks:
- Cup the respirator in hand with the nose piece lying on the fingertips and let the head straps hang freely below the hand.
- Position the respirator under your chin with the nosepiece up.
- Hold the respirator in place, pull the top strap over the head and place it on the high part of the head.
- Continue holding the respirator firmly in place, pull the bottom strap over the head and place it on the neck. Untwist the straps and position the respirator low on your neck.
- With hands, mold the nose piece to the shape of your neck by pushing inwards and moving the fingertips down on the sides of the neckpiece. Both hands must be used while shaping the nosepiece else. The fit is not achieved perfectly.
- Check the seal; it is mandatory that before each use, the respirators are checked for this place both the hands over the respirator and not disturb the position and exhale sharply. If the air leaks around the nose, then adjust the respirator at the neckpiece. If the air leaks at the respirator edges, adjust the straps back along its side of your head. After making the two adjustments as required again, conduct a fit test; if you get a proper fit, continue with the mask or else meet the supervisor and complain regarding the fit of the mask to provide a better fitted N95 3M 1860 mask.
- Even for removing the 3M N95 1860 mask, there are a few steps to perform. Without touching the respirator, lift the bottom strap around the neck over your head. Then lift the top strap and don’t touch the respirator. Remove the mask and store it or discard it as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
3M N95 1860 is the most trusted and used face mask that has helped many doctors and nurses to save millions of lives while staying protected.