At the instance that there is a need for the kids to go out, using a kids face mask is of utmost importance. Again, it is an additional responsibility for the parent who now has to look after themselves and the kids. In addition to acquiring the right sizes of face masks, parents will also learn how to convince their kids of the need to wear a mask. Not only so, but kids will also have to begin to practice more vigorously all other precautionary measures to stay safe.
Dr Richard King, a pediatrician at Northridge Hospital, suggested that since kids have the sense of wanting to help others, ask them if they're going to keep their friends safe from sickness. That is one way to get them to wear the mask – it keeps them and other people safe from illness.
The need for good kids' education about COVID19 is also very essential because of the pending possibility of school resumption anytime soon. But already, there are two categories of the masks in terms of sizes. These varieties include the medium size for adults and the small size for kids. Therefore, it is easier for parents to tell which face masks are meant for kids and which are for adults.
Besides, there are a couple of websites out there, which now have a particular category for kids face masks. And when we say that kids need to wear a face mask, it excludes children below the age of 2. While attempting to get a set of face mask for your children, what then are the factors to consider?
Essential Factors in Choosing Face Masks for Children
- Comfort: already, there is much work to do in convincing the kids to put on the face mask. So, you do not want to complicate issues by asking them to wear what is not comfortable with them. This time, comfort is not just a matter of luxury but necessity. You may even watch for their ability to still speak under the mask. Check also if the elastic band not too tight. Also, face masks should have a snug fitness for appropriate face shapes.
- Fabric layers: a kid's face mask should have at least 2 or 3 layers of the recommended fabric for cloth masks. At times, you may also get some masks with ouches that allow you to place in your special filters for more safety.
- Breathing: check if the face mask allows tour kid to breathe safely without any hindrance. This factor is perhaps the most important, although there is a very least chance that the child can suffocate under an approved design of cloth mask. But that does not still negate the sensitiveness of a good parent or guardian to ensure safety.
- Washable: due to the children's use, a kid's face mask should be washable and reusable without causing damage or reducing effectiveness. Another alternative in addition to washing is to buy more than one face mask so that the child(ren) can easily rotate them in use.
- Security: the connecting straps or loop must be relatively firm and safe not to cut. However, in ensuring the loops are okay, check that there are no spaces when fitting the mask to cover the mouth and nose. Besides, some available face masks for kids have adjustable straps.