The United States government has definitely been trying to conquer the coronavirus. While the United States is not as successful as South Korea, New Zealand, and Thailand, they are still doing their best. However, the first thing that should have been done even before the pandemic is accepting that the virus does exist. Now that even the United States president has contracted the virus, the whole world is hoping that he would already take the virus seriously.
With that, this article is to ensure that we will be discussing the steps that the government has done in order to fight the coronavirus. It will also be discussing the nitty gritty details of the N95 Mask models bought by the United States government.
The United States Coronavirus Response
The response of the United States to the coronavirus includes the following highs and lows:
- Shutdowns and Lockdowns. The shutdowns and lockdown implemented for individuals and communities have helped out a lot in the fight against the deadly virus. The N95 mask can only do so much if the people continue to move as they have. With the government shutdowns and lockdowns, movement of people and the transmission of the virus is even more controlled.
- Ventilator Response. The critical areas have faced a lot of problems when it comes to ventilators and other medical supply and equipment. The great thing about things like this is that the United States government was able to respond properly to the needs of the medical society as they happen.
- Treatment Focused. The need for treatment instead of prevention was a problem. Instead of focusing on the N95 mask that the individual would need, the focus became more involved in the treatment of critical services.
- Lack of Personal Protective Equipment Of the Government. There is a lack of personal protective equipment that individuals would need to have so donations of N95 masks were necessary.
- Shortcomings on Testing. Mass testing was not done abruptly.
Medical Equipment Need: The N95 Mask And Personal Protective Equipment
N95 masks are considered as the gold standard of masks. The United States have purchased the greatest quantity of the N95 masks that do not have any exhalation valves, they are the following:
- 3M 8210 Mask. This is definitely one of the N95 masks that are purchased in bulk by the United States government. According to the Clinical Supplies USA website, this is one of the best and most sought after models of the N95 masks. It comes with a “two-strap design and adjustable nose clip work together to create a strong, powerful seal, protecting the wearer from 95% of dangerous particles”
- 3M 8210 Plus Mask. The bigger version of the 3M 8210 mask has also been purchased in bulk by the United States government. According to the website of Clinical Supplies USA, the main goal of this model of N95 mask is to “provide users with reliable protection against at least 95% of dust particles resulting from grinding, sweeping, sawing, sanding and other operations where dust is abundant. Its protection does not stop there, and provides wearers with an additional barrier against airborne biological particles, although does not eliminate the risk of contracting infection.”
- Any 3M Mask Model Without An Exhalation Valve. The good thing about any N95 mask model without an exhalation valve is the fact that it provides as much protection as it possibly can. It is amazing and it is definitely one of the best things that people would love to have.
The United States government is also heavily relying on the N95 mask and personal protective equipment donations that individuals can give. Other countries have also made a lot of donations that could make a person look at the beauty that is offered by being helpful.
Why Isn’t The United States Buying A Lot Of N95 Masks With Exhalation Valves For The Medical Frontlines?
The United States is not buying a lot of N95 masks with exhalation valves because the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that an N95 mask with an exhalation valve will not provide the same level of protection as the other N95 masks.
While the purpose of a respirator’s exhalation valve is to reduce the breathing resistance during exhalation. It does not protect the people around the wearer. It merely ensures that the wearer will be protected from outside elements but it does not give it the same courtesy.
Do Your Share
If you can do so, you can do your share by donating N95 masks. You should donate the N95 masks to the United States government or even to your local health department because the need is now even greater. Given that the coronavirus had already been under community transmission, the best way to fight it is for individuals to be able to properly protect themselves from the virus and do everything in their power to not get it.
Even if there are a lot of sources saying that most of the population will not get critical nor would it have any other problems and they will be asymptomatic, the reality is that the long-term effects of the coronavirus is unknown. The world is yet to discover the long-term effects of the virus. It should not be taken as a big problem but it should be a challenge for individuals to survive the pandemic without contracting the virus. One of the best ways to do so is to have your own N95 mask.